Berthoud Handlebar Bag, Smooth Sides
Lightweight and aerodynamic, the classic Berthoud handlebar bag without side pockets also provides more room for your hands on the bars. It is an ideal choice for randonneuring and spirited riding. Numerous tests have shown that, without the side pockets, these bags are significantly more aero than bags with side pockets. (Airflow around the handlebars/rider’s hands is complex, and the boxy shape actually works better than more rounded shapes we tested in the wind tunnel.)
Berthoud handlebar bags combine waterproof performance with beautiful craftsmanship. The cotton fabric swells when it gets wet, so it’s waterproof without heavy liners or coatings that wear off. This works so well that even at the end of a very wet 50-hour ride in Paris-Brest-Paris, our bags remained completely dry inside.
A large pocket on the front, and two smaller ones on the rear help keep your equipment organized. The elastic closures are easy to operate with one hand. They also allow overstuffing the pockets and main compartment. The top flap opens toward the rider, making the contents accessible while riding. The clear map case is a great place to keep your map, cue sheet, or a photo that inspires you. A shoulder strap makes it easy to carry the bag off the bike.
Handlebar bags are designed to be supported by a small front rack and attached to the handlebars with the provided straps or, better, with a decaleur. Choose your bag size based on the distance from your handlebars to the front rack. There is no penalty for having a larger bag — the weight is in the pockets, leather edging and straps, not in the lightweight fabric that determines the size of the bag.
Pro Tip: Replace the included stiffener with the Rene Herse Handlebar Bag Stabilizer. Without the stiffener, the bag is much lighter and doesn’t move around—the bottom of the bag interlocks with the rack shape to stabilize the bag further.
- Technical Specs
- Rack/bar fit: Distance between rack platform and center of handlebars/decaleur:
- GB 31: 28-32 cm (11.0"-12.6")
- GB 28: 25-29 cm (9.8"-11.4")
- GB 25: 20-25 cm (7.9"-9.8")
- GB 22: 17-21 cm (6.7"-8.3")
- Outside dimensions:
- GB 31: 31 cm tall x 32 cm wide x 19 cm deep (12.2" x 12.6" x 7.5")
- GB 28: 27 cm tall x 32 cm wide x 19 cm deep (10.6" x 12.6" x 7.5")
- GB 25: 22 cm tall x 32 cm wide x 19 cm deep (8.7" x 12.6" x 7.5")
- GB 22: 19 cm tall x 32 cm wide x 19 cm deep (7.5" x 12.6" x 7.5")
- Elastic closures can be opened with one hand
- Weights: Bag (without stiffener):
- GB 31: 520 g
- GB 28: 490 g
- GB 25: 473 g
- GB 22: 448 g
- Stiffener (included) adds 220-260 g (depending on size)
- Strap: 44 g
- Made in France