BQ 65 (Autumn 2018)
We test the Masi Speciale Randonneur and the Frances Farfarer trailer by taking them on a real adventure: our third attempt to traverse the Sawtooth Range. Will a new route bring success? Is the affordable Masi bike enough for such an adventure? And how does the trailer carry its load? Click here to watch a video of this exciting adventure!
Fun on a bike doesn’t get much better than a solstice gravel ride skirting the flanks of Mount Hood, one of the volcanos of the Cascade Range. Join a group of friends as they explore some of the most amazing and challenging roads of the Pacific Northwest.
We take a 1947 René Herse tandem along a forgotten part of the Mediterranean Coast, exploring quaint fishing villages that are connected by miniature mountain passes.
We bring you a portrait of French collectors, starting with cycling historian extraordinaire Raymond Henry. He’s researched the history of cyclotouring for more than four decades. More than just a historian, he’s a life-long cyclist, and his collection of documents and historic bikes is matched by his achievements as a randonneur. He takes us on a fascinating tour into the history of cyclotouring.
The early 1980s saw the pinnacle of the classic racing bike. We feature a René Herse that combines Campagnolo’s immortal Super Record with the first modern super-steel, the almost mythical Reynolds 753. Savour its amazing details, starting with a frame that includes brazed-on brake mounts. A host of titanium parts make this bike 20% lighter others from its era. Classic racing bikes don’t get much better than this!
A full report from the Bicycle Quarterly Un-Meeting completes the articles in the Autumn edition. Join more than 60 cyclists on a weekend of fun in a forgotten corner of the Puget Sound region.
- Table of Contents
- Swift Compass Photo Contest Solstice gravel ride around Mt. Hood
- 1980 René Herse with Campagnolo Super Record
- Across the Mediterranean border on a tandem
- Raymond Henry: cycling historian extraordinaire
- Franck Stephan: a new generation of French collectors
- Shop Visit: Ostrich Bags
- Fun at the 2018 BQ Un-Meeting
- Skill: Ghost Riding
- Icon: TA ‘Adaptateur’
- First Ride: Alter Cycle Reflex 300
- Bike Test: Masi Speciale Randonneur and Frances Farfarer Trailer
- Product Test: Leg Shield Ankle Bands
- ‘One-By’ plus small chainring
- New standards and traditional materials
- Anatomy of a ‘Rinko’ Bike
- Readers’ Forum