Rene Herse 9- to 12-Speed Double Cranks
Finally a 12- and 11-speed-compatible crank that rivals the very best from the big makers in shifting performance, offers chainring combinations useful for most riders, and the beauty and polish of our Rene Herse cranks. The cranks are designed to be 100% compatible with STI (except 12-speed mtb), Ergopower (all versions) and SRAM (all versions). They work equally well with 9- and 10-speed drivetrains, and also with downtube or bar-end shifters.
Net-shape forging the arms – using a dedicated forging die for each crank length – results in optimum grain alignment of the aluminum. This means we can slim down the arms without giving up strength: This is the only small-production crank to pass the most stringent EN ‘Racing Bike’ test for fatigue resistance, yet it’s one of the lightest cranks ever made.
The chainrings are machined from the strongest 7075 aluminum to resist wear. They are designed to work as a dynamic system at 50-130 rpm to ensure smooth and quick shifts.
Recommended bottom brackets:
- SKF JIS 107 mm for standard 43.5 mm chainline
- SKF JIS 110 mm for 45 mm chainline on bikes with widely-spaced chainstays
- Most other bottom brackets have slightly thinner spindles. We recommend JIS 110-113 mm bottom brackets.
Rene Herse crank bolts and pedal washers are included. Cranks are custom-assembled based on your order. Please allow 7-10 days until your order can ship.
Pro Tip: Due to supply problems, some chainrings are out of stock. If you are in a rush and plan to run 9- to 11-speed, you can use standard Rene Herse cranks for now. Then you can replace the large chainring with the ramped-and-pinned version in the future. (Arms and small ring are the same for all models.)
- Technical Specs
- Bottom bracket: 110-113 mm, JIS taper for standard chainline
- Lengths: 165, 171, 177 mm
- Arms only (165 mm): 372 g
- Complete (165 mm; 42/26): 498 g
- Complete (165 mm, 46/30): 522 g
- (171 mm): + 6 g.
- (177 mm): + 38 g (177 mm arms are thicker for added strength).
- Narrow Q factor: 142 mm
- For use with 12-, 11-, 10- and 9-speed drivetrains from SRAM, Campagnolo and Shimano (except Shimano 12-speed mtb)
- When using with 10- or 11-speed, use Shimano Ultegra chains for best performance (even with Campagnolo or SRAM derailleurs)
- With 12-speed, use the chain recommended by the maker of your derailleur/cassette.
- Net-shape forged 2014 arms for high strength
- CNC-machined 7075 chainrings for long wear
- Meets EN 'Racing Bike' standard for fatigue resistance
- Assembled in Seattle from parts made in Taiwan and USA
- 10 year warranty
- Click here for instructions for Rene Herse Cranks, SKF Bottom Brackets, and our chart for using the two together.