Which fenders for which tire size?
Generally, fenders should be about 40% wider than your tires. This allows them to wrap around your tires without encroaching on the required clearances. This works well for tires up to 42 mm wide, which are best used with 58-60 mm-wide fenders.
However, you cannot scale up fenders indefinitely: Fenders wider than 60 mm do not work with “road” drivetrains, as the chain hits the fender in the smallest gears. For tires wider than 42 mm, stick with a 60 mm-wide fender. Choose a model that does not wrap around the tire very far, and mount it higher above the tire to provide the required clearance. You get a bit of “air” showing between tire and fender, but this “motocross” look is inevitable if you want to run ultra-wide tires with a road drivetrain. (Mountain bike cranks sit further outward and have room for wider fenders.)
Here is a list of Rene Herse tires and recommended fenders:
- 700C x 26 mm tires: Rene Herse smooth 700C, 41 mm wide
- 700C x 28 mm tires: Rene Herse smooth 700C, 41 mm wide
- 700C x 32 mm tires: Rene Herse 700C, 45 mm wide, smooth
- 700C x 35 mm tires: Rene Herse 700C, 50-51 mm wide smooth or fluted
- 700C x 38 mm tires: Rene Herse 700C, 50-51 mm wide smooth or fluted
- 700C x 44 mm tires: no fenders available in the Rene Herse program
- 650B x 38 mm tires: Rene Herse 650B fluted
- 650B x 42 mm tires: Rene Herse 650B smooth or fluted
- 650B x 48 mm tires: Rene Herse 650B XL smooth
- 26″ x 1.25″ – 1.8″ tires: Rene Herse 26″ smooth, 60 mm wide
- 26″ x 2.3″ tires: These tires have the same outer diameter as 650B x 42 mm, so we recommend Rene Herse 650B smooth. These fenders are 62 mm wide and don’t wrap very far around the tire, making them a good choice.
If you buy your fenders from Rene Herse Cycles, we include a reprint of Peter Weigle’s article on fender installation in Bicycle Quarterly 34, with easy step-by-step guidance on how to indent the fenders for fork crown and chainstays (don’t cut aluminum fenders!) and how to mount them free of stresses, so they will give decades of silent, trouble-free performance.
Will Rene Herse fenders fit on my bike? Click here to find out.
Click here for more information about Rene Herse fenders.